Going to hospital is something we’d all rather avoid, but with Bupa, our aim is to make your visit as comfy and cost-free as possible. Enjoy peace of mind with a bunch of unique benefits and – best of all – a healthier wallet through our agreements with hospitals and specialists Australia-wide.
Privacy when it counts
We believe that the word ‘private’ should actually mean private. That’s why, even with our basic hospital covers, you’ll be covered for a private room in most private hospitals across Australia for the services included on your policy*. We also have some unique benefits at our network of Members First hospitals:
- If you’ve pre-booked a private room, our ‘private room or money back offer’ at Members First hospitals means that – in the rare case it happens – the hospital will give you $50 back for every night a room is unavailable+
- You can also make the most of the little comforts with complimentary local phone calls, free-to-air TV and a daily newspaper.
More savings and less surprises
When you go to hospital, your costs are made up of two sets of fees charged by the hospital and by the specialists who treat you there. We’ve made agreements with both of these to save you money so that you can go into your treatment knowing exactly what’s coming out of your pocket.
- We have agreements witha range of private hospitals all over Australia to ensure that you pay as little as possible when you are admitted. At many of these we’ll pay 100% of the hospital costs for the services included in your policy, so you’ll only have a hospital excess or co-payment to pay if these are included in your cover.
- To eliminate or reduce the amount you pay on medical costs for your specialist’s treatment, we created the Bupa Medical Gap Scheme. Many people assume that they’ll be covered for all of their specialist’s fees with Hospital cover. But if your doctor or specialist has chosen to charge over and above the fee that Medicare considers appropriate, you may have what’s called a medical ‘gap’ fee to pay. However, there’s good news: if your doctor has agreed to be part of the Bupa Medical Gap Scheme and will participate in the scheme for your procedure, you will never have to pay more than $500 – sometimes you will pay nothing at all. It’s a tricky subject to understand, so we recommend that you talk to us before planning your hospital visit.
Bringing a bundle of joy into the world?
Get a bundle of pregnancy benefits at Members First hospitals offering obstetrics and maternity care, including:
- Educational classes to give new mums advice on childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting^.
- You can also take advantage of exclusive postnatal clinics at selected hospitals for up to 8 weeks after you return home^ .