Meeting the 485 visa requirements

Who can apply for the 485 visa?

 There is a number of criteria you must meet to satisfy the 485 visa requirements:

  • You must be a student moving from Visa Subclass 500, 570, 572, 573, 574 (in the past six months).
  • You must hold an eligible visa at the time of processing, for example you may hold a Bridging Visa A, Bridging Visa B or hold a substantive visa.
  • You must have sufficient Health Cover for the duration of your visa.
  • You’ve successfully graduated from a degree, masters or doctorate that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS).  Please note that English language proficiency courses of English enabling programs cannot be used to meet the Australian study requirement.
  • Your qualification must either: 
    • Relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Work Stream)
    • Be a higher education degree (post-study Work Stream)
  • Must be less than 50 years of age.
  • Must have met the English Language requirement.
  • Must have enrolled in the approved course for at least two academic years (92 weeks).
  • The approved course must have been instructed in English and completed in no less than 16 calendar months.
  • You must lodge your 485 application within six months of the date of course completion. This is the first date on which your educational institution publicly notifies you that you have met the requirements for the award of their degree, diploma or trade qualification. This should not be confused with the date of conferral of award for example, a graduation ceremony. 
  • You must also meet health and character requirements set by Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection. 
  • You may also have to seek accreditation from the Industry body associate with your skills/qualifications. 

How long will the Subclass 485 visa let me stay in Australia?

If you have applied for you 485 visa via the Graduate Work Stream, your visa length may be granted for 19 months from the date of grant. If you have applied for the graduate visa via the Post-study Work Stream your visa may be granted up to 2-4 years. The 485 Visa is a good way to extend your stay in Australia to improve your chances of becoming eligible for a permanent or provisional skilled visa. 

What will you be able to do on your 485 visa?

The 485 graduate Visa is quite flexible as it lets you work, study and travel temporarily in Australia after you have finished your studies.  

Do I need to have a job in Australia to apply for the 485 Visa?

No, unlike the 457 visa you do not need a job offer from a business entity. Additionally, there are also no minimum salary requirements. 

Will my family be covered on my 485 Visa?

The visa will cover dependents of the main applicant who are in Australia at the time you apply. Family members outside Australia may also apply once your 485 Temporary Working Visa has been granted. These members must also have compliant health cover. Click here to learn more. 

What are the differences between the two study streams?

Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). 

Post-Study Work stream – Please note that this stream is only available for student who received their first student via on, or after 5th November 2011. This stream is available to  international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study.

How long will it take for my visa to be processed?

The current processing time for a Temporary Graduate Visa is approximately 1-4 months but it will depend on what work stream you are applying for, as well as your country of origin (on average, Post-study work stream applications are granted faster than the graduate work stream). Having compliant health insurance is one way to ensure your visa is processed smoothly. You are able to live and work fulltime in Australia on a bridging visa (Bridging Visa A or B) while waiting for the decision.