How to make changes to your cover and apply for extensions and refunds

Leave of absence

If you have been studying outside Australia for three months or more and plan to return to complete your studies, you can apply for a partial refund of your health insurance premiums for the time you were away by applying for a leave of absence.

Changing your start date and extending your policy

You can change the start date and extend your health insurance cover at any time before your arrival in Australia. We will send you an email confirmation of the change, along with a new verification letter for student records to match.

Cancellations and refunds

If you have completed your entire course while outside of Australia, you’re entitled to a full refund of your health insurance premiums. If you have started your course in Australia but now plan to complete it outside of the country, you are also entitled to a partial refund.


How can I help protect myself and others?

You can help reduce the spread of COVID-19 by:

  • Staying home and isolating yourself from people outside your household if you are unwell.
  • Getting a full course of COVID-19 vaccines to protect yourself and others around you. This means at least two doses of COVID-19 vaccine, and a booster dose when it’s available to you.
  • Keeping your distance (at least 1.5m) from others, especially from anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
  • Coughing and sneezing into a tissue or the crook of your elbow. (Immediately throw any tissues you’ve used into the rubbish bin and wash your hands.)
  • Regularly washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using alcohol-based sanitisers (made up of over 60% alcohol or 70% isopropanol) if soap and water are not available.
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Regularly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and objects you touch often (like phones and workspaces).
  • Opening doors and windows to keep areas well ventilated with fresh outdoor air

Where can I find the latest COVID-19 advice?

Government advice is updated regularly and may change depending on which state or territory you’re currently in. For the most up-to-date information applicable to you, please visit the page for your state or territory below:

Do I need to wear a face mask?

  • Follow your local laws and wear a face mask if it’s mandatory to do so.
  • Wearing a mask can help protect you and those around you in areas where there’s community transmission, and physical distancing is difficult, like on a bus or train.
  • Wearing a mask can help protect you and those around you if you’re in an area with community transmission, and physical distancing is difficult, like on a bus or train.
  • Cloth or disposable surgical masks can be used. Make sure they’re well-fitted around your nose, chin and the sides of your face.
  • Cloth masks can be washed in the washing machine with other clothes, or hand-washed using soap and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth.
  • Dry the cloth mask in the clothes dryer or in fresh air before you re-use it.
  • Clean your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub (made up of over 60% alcohol or 70% isopropanol) after handling used face masks.  

What are some of the usual signs of COVID-19?

  • Fever (high temperature)
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Shortness of breath

Other symptoms can include runny nose, acute blocked nose (congestion), headache, muscle or joint pains, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, loss of sense of smell, altered sense of taste, loss of appetite and fatigue. Some people can have no symptoms at all.

Remember a TGA-approved COVID-19 test can tell if you have the virus.

If you’re worried that you may have come in contact with someone who has COVID-19 follow local government advice regarding quarantine and testing relevant to your type of contact.

If you start to feel unwell and develop flu-like symptoms – such as fever, coughing, sore throat, shortness of breath – seek medical help right away. Don’t just turn up to a medical centre, call ahead first. Tell the doctor – also called a General Practitioner (GP) – about your symptoms and travel or contact history.

Alternatively, you can call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 for further instructions.

FAQs for Bupa overseas students and overseas visitors


COVID-19 Testing

Feeling sick

Your cover

COVID-19 Vaccinations

Studying in Australia

Further Support

Other information

Last updated: 18 January 2022