Application for home nursing provider recognition
Bupa has absolute discretion in granting recognition to any ancillary provider. Meeting the criteria below does not guarantee recognition. Bupa will exercise this discretion where required, on a case-by-case basis.
To attain Bupa recognition for home nursing benefit payment purposes, you must meet and satisfy all aspects of our recognition criteria, as follows:
- Have a Medicare provider number for the purpose of attracting Medicare benefits for nursing services OR be registered as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au;
- Bupa recognised providers are required to be in private practice. Our definition of private practice for the purposes of the Bupa recognition criteria is as follows:
"Private practice means that the person is self employed and solely responsible for their own operating cost, sick leave, annual leave etc, and that their income is primarily derived from the fee to patient/client for services rendered, at that practice. Where a provider practices in conjunction with other providers, they can be deemed to be in private practice providing that the income of that group is derived from fees received from patients/clients of the practice. The group or individual practitioner is not funded or contracted to any public or private authority except for the payment to that authority for rent of premises"
- Maintain a minimum number of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours directly relevant to the applicant’s context of practice;
- Possess an appropriate Professional Indemnity Insurance to meet the requirements of Section 129 (1) of the National Law; and
- Maintain current and up-to-date skills in CPR and first aid application.
Please read the following documents carefully, so that you are fully aware of Bupa’s expectations for all Bupa recognised Ancillary providers:
Ancillary Provider Terms (PDF 620Kb)
What happens breach Ancillary Provider Terms (PDF, 107Kb)
If you wish to apply for recognition with Bupa, please supply the following information:
- A completed and signed Bupa Application for Recognition form (PDF, 175Kb);
- Evidence of your current Certificate of Nursing showing Division 1 classification, as issued by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia;
- Evidence of your current Professional Indemnity Insurance policy;
- Evidence of your Business Entity Name and Trading Name (including the submission of your Australian Business Number - ABN); and
- A sample copy of a business tax invoice/receipt - An example is a receipt provided to your patient/client as proof of payment for home nursing services.
Once you have signed and completed the application form, please email all required documentation, including the above referenced documents to email@example.com.
Should you have any questions concerning the recognition process, please contact the Health and Benefits Operations team on 1800 060 239.