Bupa as a key provider of Healthcare and Insurance Services recognises the importance of good environmental practice. We recognise that our activities have an environmental impact and in developing this policy we seek to reinforce our commitment to manage environmental issues properly within our existing UK and expanding international businesses. This policy forms part of a suite of Bupa policies covering issues such as Health & Safety and Community Connections.
This policy has the full support of the Chairman and the Board of Directors. In implementing this commitment to manage our environmental impacts properly we will:
- Fully comply with environmental regulations in every country in which we operate.
- Ensure that environmental considerations are integrated into our business decisions.
- Continue to use risk assessment methods in order to identify potential environmental risks to our businesses.
- Pursue opportunities to minimise the environmental impact of our operations, concentrating particularly on the use of energy, waste disposal, water discharges and land management.
- Develop a wider understanding of environmental issues amongst our suppliers, employees, customers and local committees.
- Regularly review our policies to ensure that they remain properly aligned to the need reduce waste and encourage the most effective utilisation of scarce resources.
- Responsibility for implementing this Environmental Policy rests with the Managing Directors of each of our business units. Detailed policy implementation plans will be developed within each of these business units which will include a commitment to the regular audit of policy objectives.
To ensure that this policy is properly implemented we will periodically review our progress at board level.
Bupa Group Environmental Policy, Issue 2, January 2006